Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Cruel Month

It is December again.  As a school teacher, December promises some time off, to relax.  After all there are two weeks at the end of the month that we have off.  I could go geocaching a lot, it appears.  Wrong.


December is one of those months that tricks you into thinking you have two weeks off.  On the contrary, it's really only one week off.  Sometimes it's more, depending upon when Christmas Day falls in the first week.  With it falling on a Friday this year, there's only one week.

I keep a spreadsheet of all things geocaching, just because I like playing around with numbers.  I have been caching for almost 9 years now and I have never been caching on December 21st.  And, if you want the full story, I have never been caching on the 22nd, the 23rd, the 24th or the 25th.  Yet, I keep thinking to myself that I can get out during the week before Christmas and find some geocaches.  Nope.  It's not going to happen this year either more than likely.  I've already lost the 21st this year and it's raining today, so the 22nd isn't looking good either right now.

I know some of your are thinking, "What, he doesn't like to cache in the rain?"  Not really, plus I have other things that still need to get done before the family descends upon our house this year.  And that's OK, I just need to remember next year and not even try to make plans, because they probably won't work anyway.

And the funny thing is, I've been itching to go out and cache since my last caching adventure on December 5th.  At the first cache find of the day, my PDA bit the dust.  You can see from the poor picture, that it's pretty much toast.  I have no idea how that happened, although I can theorize about it.  It doesn't really matter since it's beyond repair.  Looking for a new PDA ended quickly.  It's very difficult to find a stand alone PDA nowadays.  Most are couple with cell phones.  I don't need a new cell phone.

But, I found an interesting application for my iTouch that I think is going to work very well.  Unfortunately, this cruel month hasn't allowed me to get out and really put the new app through its paces yet.  It'll happen, just not this week.

Profile for Webfoot

No comments: