Friday, August 22, 2008

Slowdown

I went back to work today, spending most of the morning in teacher meetings. It was a good day overall as I got my room ready for students to come back to school next Monday. For whatever reason, the months of September and October have traditionally become my "slowdown" months for caching. Because I'm off in the summer, I tend to find a lot more caches during that time as opposed to other times of the year. If I were a betting man, I would have bet that I've found more caches in August than in July, but the graph proves me wrong.

What I have noticed over time is the big drop off in September and October. With the exceptions of those two months, I've found at least 115 caches in every other month. I know I don't have any holidays during those months, but neither do I have holidays in February, yet the numbers for that month are high in comparison. I suspect that I'm in the "let's make sure that everything is running smoothly" mode at the start of a school year and I don't have time for much caching. In my opinion, that's a good thing. Starting out the first of the year on a good note is a good thing for a smoothly running classroom. As the year progresses, I have more time for extra curricular activity because the classes are running smoothly by that time. It takes time and effort to do this, so I'll not quibble that the numbers are like that. What it also might mean is I might not have as much time to post in here as well. We'll see what happens over the course of the next two months.

Graph was taken from stats generated from INATN.

Profile for Webfoot

3 comments:

Steve Natoli said...

Interesting graph. As a a teacher, you do have a couple of holidays in February, don't you?

Paul Myers said...

True and those weekends are usually perfect weather-wise as well. Last year, I went on a 51 cache road trip on one of those weekends in February.

This year, it's one long 4 day weekend I believe.

Josh said...

The students will appreciate your undivided attention in the beginning. You've definitely made this a summer to remember for both you and the tadpole. Consider the slowdown a chance for the caches to "catch up"