Thursday, May 13, 2010

Icon Challenges

Chaosmanor sent me an email last week entitled, "If we'd only known."  In it, he detailed a challenge cache that was all about the icons.  In other words, you needed to find, in one day, six different kinds of geocaches to qualify to find this particular cache.  We didn't know about this cache on Saturday May 1st when we went to the 10 Years event at the Devils Punchbowl, so we didn't go out of our way to get a bunch of different kinds of caches.  The caches just came naturally that day.

We ended up finding five different types of caches, a traditional, a multi-cache (can you see it in the picture?), a mystery cache, an earthcache, plus the event cache.  No such luck to qualify for the One Busy Day Challenge, however while I was planning my route for my road trip this weekend to Stockton, I noticed this challenge cache, which my May 1st day does qualify for, so I'll be stopping by that cache on Saturday to find that one.

My son and I are also going to attempt the 6 icon challenge this summer.  Our planned route takes us through Lassen Volcanic National Park, close to Redding, CA.  Many of you may already know that the GPS Adventure Maze Exhibit is in Redding through September at the Turtle Bay Museum. This particular exhibit offers it's own special icon.  With that in mind, we have planned an earthcache in Lassen, then will drive down to Redding, getting a traditional, and a virtual, before heading to the museum.  After the museum, there will be a multi-cache just north of the museum.  All we'd have to do then is find a mystery cache to complete the challenge.  It should be a fun day, even if we don't finish the challenge.

I think this is one of the things that keeps me going in Geocaching.  I've had other hobbies that have waxed and waned over time, but I seem to have kept an interest in this hobby much longer than others.  Perhaps it's the little challenges that keep me going, keeping the hobby from getting stale.  Either that, or it's just something that I like to do. I would be willing to bet that it's a combination of both of the above.  Either way, I'll continue to watch for these kinds of caches.

Picture was taken near the following geocache:
Devil's Punchbowl - by Kit Fox

Profile for Webfoot

1 comment:

benh57 said...

I'm curious to see if you can find the four icon challenge, it's in a horrible huge bush. I've been there twice.

Also, there is a 'seven' icon challenge in Sacramento on the Challenge Trail.. so when you do it, get 7!