Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Every Trail

I stumbled upon a new website, or at least new for me, so I've been playing around with if for a little bit the past couple of days. Yesterday when I woke up, it was overcast, a little unusual for this late in July in Southern California, so I thought I'd take advantage of it and hike up to a benchmark that I can see anytime I do go hiking in my local area, yet have never logged because it's "up there" on top of that hill. I decided that I'd take advantage of this new website, Every Trail that I'd been looking at while I was on the hike. I learned about Every Trail from a friend's blog a couple of days ago.


Johnson's Pasture - Claremont, CA - Widget powered by EveryTrail: GPS Geotagging

With Every Trail, you can upload your GPSr tracks to the website and create a trip, complete with maps and slideshow. This is the first time I've attempted this. I was having a little bit of trouble uploading the track log directly from the GPSr to Every Trail, so I opened up MapSource the software that came with my Garmin and created a track log with that. Every Trail took that file and created my first track on the site.

Then, I created the trip and started adding the pictures to the trip. I learned a couple of things with this first trip. When I started the GPSr, it was at the top of the hill at the benchmark. I think I'd start at the parking area and end it up there if I were to do it again. The second thing I did was uploaded the pictures out of sequence. Some of the shots are guesstimates as to their placement, but they're pretty close to where I took them. By zooming in, I can see where I backtracked to take the picture of the poison oak at the base of the Eucalyptus tree. If I were to do multiple tracks, like on this camping trip we're going on next week, I'll probably want to mark where I took each picture. That will help in placement later on. Overall, though, I don't think it's too bad of a first effort.

You can see a larger version of the hike here. Above the map, there's a stats link to check out the elevation changes of the hike. You can also view the map in full mode if you'd like as well. If you zoom in on the map, you'll see where I started and stopped along the hike, most likely to look at things like the deer that bounded across the trail right in front of me. The side spur about midway along the trail is when I went to check on a cache of mine that's hidden there. I think I'll try this again on one of the hikes that I take with my son on our camping trip.

Pictures were taken at or near Pasture-ized - by catrunr

Profile for Webfoot

No comments: