Sunday, April 12, 2009

Alameda

On Saturday, my son and I drove from Santa Cruz up to Stockton to visit my daughter. We'd been touring UC Santa Cruz because it's where he has decided to attend college beginning in the fall of this year. The rest of that story will be completed later. As we drove, I had it in the back of my mind that we would be driving through Alameda County and that I might stop and get a cache or two along the way so I could mark off the county. This would put me one county closer to the 58 county challenge that I've been working on for several years.

The first cache we found in Alameda County was Curtner Coppice. It's (GCJGNG), which is located to the southeast of Fremont. For me at least, it was a little tricky, only because I wasn't able to see the hiding place right away and I was taking the clue for the cache a little bit too literally. Eventually, I was able to find it, obviously and add Alameda County to my list of counties in which I've found caches. I found two other caches in the county (just east of Livermore) just to be on the safe side. With the first cache, we'd just passed the county line marker sign and I wasn't sure how the county line ran, so I wanted to make sure by finding a couple of other caches later on. You can see by the map, that I was well within the county line for credit.

That brings me to 32 counties. I have but 26 more to go. As noted previously, it probably won't happen this year, but could happen in the fall of 2010. I'll need two trips north, one on the west side of the state and then a second trip on the east side of the state to get all of the counties in the northern part of the state.

Profile for Webfoot

No comments: